Attempts to stall Vic's West Gate Tunnel

Victoria's premier insists construction of Melbourne's West Gate Tunnel will go ahead despite attempts in parliament to stall the project.

Victoria's coalition opposition and the Greens are teaming up to stall the government's cornerstone roads project, the West Gate Tunnel, which Labor insists will be built.

The Greens are backing a coalition motion in the upper house to try and stop the planning framework allowing construction of the five-kilometre tunnel.

Liberal planning spokesman David Davis tabled the three-pronged motion on Wednesday, as Premier Daniel Andrews promised to "use any means available" to get it done.

Mr Andrews said the project was desperately needed for Melbourne's west and had already created hundreds of jobs.

Planning Minister Richard Wynne told parliament that planning documents for the controversial tunnel would be tabled later in February.

Instead of the West Gate, the coalition promised to resurrect the East West Link Road project if the party won government at the state election in November.

Labor dumped the East West Link in 2015.

Mr Davis said Labor was "dragging the chain" on moving the West Gate planning amendment.

"Trying to block/delay parliament considering revocation motion. It's shocking; sneaky, undemocratic," he wrote on social media.


Share
1 min read
Published 7 February 2018 6:22pm
Source: AAP


Share this with family and friends