UK health minister hits back at former aide over claims he was reckless with COVID-19 response

Health Minister Matt Hancock has denied claims from a former top government aide that he repeatedly lied to the public and his colleagues about the government's COVID-19 response.

UK Health Minister Matt Hancock

UK Health Minister Matt Hancock Source: AAP

British health minister Matt Hancock has hit back at that he had lied to colleagues and the public about the government's response to the COVID-19 pandemic, stating it was untrue. 

Dominic Cummings, who was , delivered a withering attack on his former boss and Mr Hancock during seven hours of testimony on Thursday, saying their ineptitude led to tens of thousands of unnecessary deaths.

Mr Johnson, Mr Cummings said, was unfit for his role, while his greatest criticism was reserved for Mr Hancock who he said had repeatedly lied to such an extent that the country's top civil servant lost confidence in his honesty.
"These allegations that were put yesterday ... are serious allegations and I welcome the opportunity ... to put formally on the record that these unsubstantiated allegations around honesty are not true, and that I've been straight with people in public and in private throughout," Mr Hancock told parliament.

With almost 128,000 deaths, the United Kingdom has the world's fifth-highest official COVID-19 toll, far higher than the government's initial worst-case estimates of 20,000.

One of the most damning allegations from Mr Cummings was that Mr Hancock's statement that the government had thrown a "protective ring around" care homes at the start of the pandemic was nonsense, and that instead people had been sent back from hospital who had contracted the coronavirus.

The opposition Labour Party says if he had lied, he should lose his job.
Britain's Prime Minister Boris Johnson leaves 10 Downing Street on Wednesday.
Britain's Prime Minister Boris Johnson leaves 10 Downing Street on Wednesday. Source: AP
"I've been straight with people in public and in private throughout," Mr Hancock said. "Every day since I began working on the response to this pandemic last January, I've got up each morning and asked, 'what must I do to protect life'. That is the job of a health secretary in a pandemic."

Politicians from the governing Conservative Party rallied around Mr Hancock, while Jeremy Hunt, a co-chairman of the committee at which Mr Cummings had appeared, said the allegations from the former aide should be treated as unproven until evidence was provided to back them up.

Mr Johnson told parliament on Wednesday that nobody could credibly accuse him or his government of complacency, and that the government had always sought to minimise loss of life.
"I think it is [wrong]," housing minister Robert Jenrick told BBC radio when asked about the allegation from Mr Cummings that tens of thousands of people had died unnecessarily.

"Nobody could doubt for one moment that the prime minister was doing anything other than acting with the best of motives with the information and the advice that was available to him."


Share
3 min read
Published 27 May 2021 9:21pm
Source: Reuters, SBS


Share this with family and friends